My Birth Story (Part 2)

Welcome to part 2 and day 3 of my birth story! Continued from part 1.

I woke up on Friday (my actual due date) feeling very optimistic.  Those pills had to have worked!  This baby is coming!  The nurse came in and checked me and still nothing.  Seriously!?! What the f?  We decided to wait for the doctor for the next steps.

The doctor came in around 9 am and we had to have the talk about plan C.  First she told me, listen you are making minimal progress so we have 2 options.  One, you can go home and we can just wait for this baby to make his debut on his own or two, we can stay here and get agressive.  I told her that I was on my 3rd day in the hospital, there was no way after going through all this and already being here that I was going to go home without my baby and just wait it out.  It was time to meet this little boy.  Plan C was to force me to 4 cm through a balloon type mechanism.  Then we would break my water but she reminded me that once we broke my water I was here to stay because once the water breaks you should really deliver within 24 hours.  I was all in.

She came back with her “it’s time to start dialating” device and excuse my language but HOLY SHIT did that hurt.  They hooked me back up to a high level of pectocin and it wasn’t too long before I was IN PAIN.  A lot of pain, oh so much pain.  The nurse looked like she wanted to cry just watching me practically cry in pain.  I tried to deal with it for a little bit.  I felt so much pressure like I had to poo so I spent most of my time in the bathroom.  I was so crampy and uncomfortable it was absolutely the worst thing ever.  We decided it was time for some drugs.  I didn’t want to go to the epidural just yet so we decided to give me some fetinol.  It only worked for roughly 10 minutes so they said they could keep giving you more about every 10-20 minutes.  I didn’t want to do this so I tried to tough it out as long as possible.  By this time I was crying.  I remember telling my husband “this is so terrible I am never ever doing this again, I can’t believe I did this”, to which he replied “you wanted to have a baby!”.  Poor guy was so clueless and had no idea what to do or say.  After getting the fetinol one or 2 other times, I decided it wasn’t even helping and I didn’t want to take drugs that wouldn’t do anything.  The contractions kicked up and I was in unbearable pain.  I said “it’s time, bring on the epidural”.  The nurse said no problem let me go see where the anthesologist is.

One of my friends had told me that sometimes you can wait a long time for an epidural if the anthesologist is in surgery.  Luckily this was not the case for me.  Thank the good lord above.  I literally could not handle it anymore.  For the past few months I had been watching “A Baby Story” every morning before work (and thoroughly freaking my husband out) and “Teen Mom”.  I know, I know- shameful.  When these moms got the epidural they made it seem like it really hurt to get it but let me tell you I was already in so much pain I didn’t feel the needle AT ALL.  It was funny the anthesologist was trying to talk to me about the “50 Shades of Grey” book I had seated next to my bed, but I was in no mood to chat.  I was like get that needle in me NOW sir.  He was trying to tell me what he was doing and I was like I don’t care, just do it already!  Then, relief at last.  I think I told him he was my best friend.

Now I felt great.  I was laughing, telling jokes, and even relaxing.  My husband even said “what is in that, maybe I want one!”. Ha!  I was back to feeling optimistic.  The doctor came in and I had made no progress past the 4 cm she forced me to so we decided to break my water.

Time came and went, family members came and went, the pectocin got set level after level higher.  Still no progress.  At about 7 pm at night on day 3 I was starting to have more pain as the epidural was not working it’s magic quite the way it was earlier.  A different  anthesologist came and gave me a 2nd epidural.  Yes this is how long it went on, I was on my second  anthesologist.  This time it was a much stronger dose and I literally could not feel my legs at all.  It was the wierdest feeling not being able to even lift one leg.  I wasn’t a fan but at least I wasn’t in pain.

An hour later the baby started to decline slightly so they put me on oxygen.  Now I was starting to feel defeated, tired, and worried about the baby.  I lay there not feeling my legs with an oxygen mask on my face.  This was not my idea of a good time.

Finally at about 9:20 pm on day 3 when the nurse came in to check on me I felt dispaired.  I asked her how much longer we were going to let this go on.  The plan was just to keep checking me every 4 hours but I thought am I going to be still sitting here with no progress at 3 am???  The nurse replied, “are you asking for a c-section?”  I told her that I was asking for what the doctor thinks is best but that I was starting to feel at the end of my rope.  She said she would call the doctor to see what she wanted to do.


One thought on “My Birth Story (Part 2)

  1. Pingback: My Birth Story (Part 3) | Better with Baby Blog

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: